Yum..... An excellent use of otherwise discarded citrus peel.
Peel of 5-7 oranges, lemons or grapefruit
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup Grand Marnier (optional)
3/4 cup granulated sugar for coating
or melted chocolate for dipping (my recommendation)
1. Slice citrus peel into 1/16" x 1 1/2" strips. Using a sharp paring knife, cut away as much of the white pith as possible.
2. Place strips into large saucepan. Add water to cover. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain. Dry and chill strips on a towel or parchment paper.
3. Return strips to saucepan. Boil with 3 cups water and 2 cups sugar. Bring to a gentle boil for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from heat and add the Grand Marnier. Leave strips in liquid and covered loosely for 12 hours.
5. Remove from liquid. Lay out to dry. Dip in melted chocolate as desired.